The Identification Card/DEERS enrollment office is located at 46 Ashburn Drive, Anne Ely Hall, room number 135.

The DEERS/ID Card Office will be closed on 18 February 2015 for Computer Installation Upgrades.

Office Hours Effective 1 February 2013:

ID Card Hours:  0730 to 1530 Monday-Friday, Except 2nd Wednesday 0900 to 1530 

Common Access Cards (CACS):  0730 to 1500 Monday-Friday, Except 2nd Wednesday 0900 to 1500 

The Office is closed on Federal Holidays

Telephone: 717-245-3533, DSN 242-3533 - For those of you driving a long distance it is recommended that you call the office beforehand to ensure the DEERS system is up and running; that the post is open; in addition we can provide you information on any/all documents you need to bring with you. In case of inclement weather please call 717-245-3700.

AR 600-8-14 is the primary regulation which governs issuance of all Department of Defense ID cards.

What is DEERS: Defense Enrollment and Eligibility Reporting System

What to bring for getting your ID Card:

1. All documents must be originals or true certified copies.

2. To issue/reissue/renew a DOD identification card or a Common Access Card (CAC) DOD requires that personnel provide two forms of identifications:

  a. The primary must be an unexpired photo identification card issued by a Federal or State agency.

  b. The secondary document can be typically any document listed below on the form I-9. The form I-9 is meant to be used as a guideline for proof of identity documents, please note that RAPIDS does not accept all document types listed on the form I-9.

  c. Locally issued security badges are not acceptable.

  d. Sponsors must accompany family members when requesting issuance/reissuance/renewal of an ID card, exceptions are: valid up to date power of attorney from the sponsor; family members of deployed Soldiers may present a deployment order and or valid power of attorney; DD Form 1172-2 signed by the sponsor and verified at an ID card office and/or notarized: original death certificate of the sponsor if deceased.

  e. Personnel with a valid CAC may log in to mil.connect/RAPIDS self service and digitally sign a DD Form 1172-2 which will be saved to the DEERS system and can be accessed when family members arrive at the ID card office.

  f. List A, B AND C are approved identification documents.

  g. For reissuance/renewal of an ID card/CAC an expired ID card/CAC may be used as the secondary document.


1. U.S. Passport or U.S. passport Card

1. Driver's license or ID card issued by a state or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, and address

1. Foreign Passport that contains a temporary I-551 stamp or temporary
I-551 printed notation.

2. Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (Form N-560 or N-561)

2. ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, and address

2. Passports from the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating nonimmigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association between the United States and the FSM or RMI.

3. Certificate of Naturalization
(Form N-550 or N-570)

3. School ID card with a photograph

3. Social Security Account Number card or valid letter issued by the Social Security Office verifying your social security number.

4. Unexpired foreign passport
with I-551 stamp.

4. Voter's registration card

4. Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (FS-545)

5. Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card with photograph (Form I-151 or I-551)

5. U.S. Military card or draft record

5. Certification of Report of Birth issued by the Department of State (Form DS-1350)

6. Unexpired Temporary
Resident Card (Form I-688)

6. Military family members ID card

6. Original or certified copy of birth certificate issued by a State, county, municipal authority, or territory of the United States bearing an official seal

7. Unexpired Employment
Authorization Card (Form I-688A)

7. U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card

7. U.S. Citizen ID Card (Form I-197)

8. Unexpired Reentry Permit
(Form I-327)

8. Native American tribal document

8. Identification Card for Use of Resident Citizen in the United States (Form I-179)

9. Unexpired Refugee Travel
Document (Form 1-571)

9. Driver's license issued by a Canadian government authority

For persons under age 18 who are unable to present a document listed above:

10. School record or report card
11. Clinic, doctor or hospital record
12. Day-care or nursery school record

10. Unexpired Employment
Authorization Document that contains a photograph
(Form I-766)




Expired Cards: Individual may use the expired CAC or ID card as a secondary ID. You may obtain a new CAC Card/ID card up to 60 days prior to expiration.

Grade Change: Promotion Order for AF, USN, USMC, National Guard/Reserve Soldiers.

Security Confiscation: Carlisle Barracks Form 120 (ID card receipt) issued by the Post Security Guards.

Lost ID card: Police report from the Carlisle Barracks Police Office (bldg# 400) will be used for the secondary document.

DOD Civilian Employees: Department of the Army civilian employees must have been entered in the DEERS database and have an AKO account.

Contractors: Must have been entered into DEERS database. Department of the Army contractors must have a valid AKO account.

Retirees: Retirement Order, DD Form 214 if applicable.

Family Members: No additional required documents other than those above.


Spouse: Original or certified copy of marriage certificate, birth certificate, social security card, if the spouse is changing his/her last name one of the documents presented must have the new last name.

Newborns: All newborns must be added to DEERS as soon as possible. A hospital record of birth (signed by the attending physician) or a birth certificate is required. A social security card must be presented as soon as one is issued. The sponsor must be present to sign the DD Form 1172-2 or the spouse must have Power of Attorney or a copy of the sponsor’s deployment order.

Children Born out of Wedlock: Sponsor must have a court order that establishes paternity, SSN card when issued, the child’s birth certificate or a notarized Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity from the state the child resides in and birth certificate, the sponsor must be present to sign the DD Form 1172-2 or the individual appointed as a power of attorney by the sponsor. When paternity has not been judicially determined by a court or acknowledgement of paternity is not presented member must apply to DFAS, a packet may be obtained at this office.

Child (21-23 yrs) Must be enrolled in an institution of higher learning leading to an associate’s degree or higher as a full-time student and present a letter from the school stating that he or she is enrolled full-time and expected graduation date (printout from the National Clearing House is acceptable). The sponsor must be present to the sign the DD Form 1172-2 or the spouse must have a power of attorney to sign for the sponsor or a valid DD Form 1172-2 signed by the sponsors servicing ID card facility not more than 90 days old or a copy of the sponsor’s deployment order. Sponsor will be required to certify in block 89 of the DD Form 1172-2 that he or she is providing over 50% of the students support.

DOD Beneficiaries (Army only): Unremarried former spouses can continue to keep their dependent ID card privileges provided they meet the following criteria: The member must have served at least 20 years creditable military service for retired pay, the marriage lasted at least 20 years, and the marriage and service time overlapped by at least 15 years. The number of years overlap in marriage and service determine the extent of benefits authorized. Documents required are original or certified marriage certificate, original or certified copy of the divorce decree, sponsor’s DD Form 214 or Statement of Service. All others must process their request through their respective branch of service.

100% Disabled Veterans: Requires a letter from the Veterans Administration stating that he/she is 100% disabled and whether the determination is permanent or temporary. A DD Form 214 and social security card are also required.

Retired Civilians: If your record in DEERS indicates retired no additional documentation required, if not retired in DEERS a copy of SF 50 is required.

Incapacitated Child over 21 years of age (Army only): DD Form 137-5 which can be obtained from the ID card office, birth certificate, medical statement verifying the child’s medical incapacitation is permanent or temporary, letter from the social security office verifying whether the child is receiving social security benefits, and if so, whose social security number the benefits are being received under. Documents will be forwarded to DFAS who will make the final determination. All others must process their request through their respective branch of service.

Parent/Parent-In-Law Dependency (Army only): DD Form 137-3, which can be obtained from the ID card office, the sponsor’s or spouse’s birth certificate reflecting the parent’s name (as applicable). If the parent has medical problems, a medical statement is required. Documents will be forwarded to DFAS who will make the final determination. All others must process their request through their respective branch of service.

TRICARE Young AdultNew program available for children from 21 to 26 years and not eligible for employer medical benefits/insurance. The ID Card/DEERS office will verify TRICARE eligibility in DEERS and a new ID card will be issued for medical and pharmacy benefits only. The ID Card/DEERS office will not have the ability to resolve any issues involving enrollment, if the record in DEERS does not authorize TRICARE, you must resolve the issue with the TRICARE office.

Identification Tags (Dog Tags): You may e-mail or stop in person to receive identification tags. E-mail request must be encrypted due to privacy issues and must contain: last name, first name, middle initial, social security number, blood type and religious preference.

DA Form 1602 (local ID card authorized by the Installation Commander and issued for installation use only): Must have Carlisle Barracks form 688-R-E filled out completely to include a police check and signed by an authorized official. For a list of authorized officials please call the office.

You may call 717-245-3533 or e-mail any questions you have to